Change Base Unit of Measure in MM
One raw material we assigned base unit of measure as OZ, later add
alternate unit of measure as ML.
Now I wanted to change the base unit to ML and alternaet to OZ.
For that I deleted component from the BOM. Related PO's, Prd ord
and demand are closed. Deleted the alternate unit from purchasing
and plant/stock (Area were we assign the alternate unit), then try to change
it giving message as Unit of measure ML used as alternate unit. (In
additinal data screen still the alternate unit and conversion available)
You can do the following procedure (after deleting the material in all
1. Delete the uom from Unit of issue field (General Plant Data / Storage
1) in MM if you have mentioned it there.
2. Go to additional data , use delete line tab and delete the conversion
factor by keeping the cursor on that line.
3. Come to main data, now change the base unit of measure to the required
4. Then give the alternative unit of measure, system will ask for conversion
5. Then save
You can only change the base units of measure under the following circumstances:-
- No stocks are available for the material.
- There are no existing purchase requisitions, purchase orders, or
scheduling agreements for the material.
- At present, no purchase orders or purchase order items are being
created or changed.
If requests for quotations, purchasing info records, or contracts are
available for a material, the system gives a warning while changing base
unit of measure. Still if you want to change unit of measure specify in
a dialog box the factor for converting the base unit of measure into the
new base unit of measure. The purchasing info records are then, if necessary,
1) If there are stocks in the previous period,
you can clear them as follows:
a) Post the stock in the previous period to
the current period e.g. 010799 (for example, using movement
type 561) so that the stock for the previous period is the same as the
stock for the current period.
b) Clear the stock with the posting date in
the previous period e.g. 300699 (for example, using movement
2) If there are Open purchase requisitions, purchase orders, or scheduling
agreements for the material.
- Run MM02 (Change Material Master immediately).
- Overwrite the old base unit of measure with the new one in basic
- Save the change.
- System checks
If a change criterion (MM02) is meeting all necessary prerequisites
(as mentioned in point 1).System allows changing base unit of measure.
Otherwise it displays warning or error. You can display the reason
for this, by choosing Display Errors (ctrl+F1)
Get help for your SAP MM problems
Do you have a SAP MM Question?
SAP MM Books
SAP Material Management
Certification, Interview and Configuration Reference Books
SAP Material Management Tips
SAP MM Configuration Tips and
Materials Management Discussion Forum
SAP Basis, ABAP Programming and Other IMG Stuff
All the site contents are Copyright © www.erpgreat.com
and the content authors. All rights reserved.
All product names are trademarks of their respective
companies. The site www.erpgreat.com is in no way affiliated with
Every effort is made to ensure the content integrity.
Information used on this site is at your own risk.
The content on this site may not be reproduced
or redistributed without the express written permission of
www.erpgreat.com or the content authors.